List of Major Archbishops of Ernakulam-Angamaly
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
(Redirected from Major Archbishop of Ernakulam-Angamaly)
The Major Archbishop of Ernakulam-Angamaly is the head of the Archdiocese of Ernakulam-Angamaly inErnakulam, Kerala, India. The Major Archbishop, a position equivalent to Patriarch and locally called as the Kasolicos/Catholicos and Gate of All India , is the head of the Syro-Malabar Catholic Church.
The archdiocese was established in 1896, when the first archbishop was appointed. In 1923 the hierarchy of the Syro-Malabar Catholic Church was established, and the Archbishop of Ernakulam-Angamaly was elevated to Major Archbishop and given authority over the whole church.
Archbishops of Ernakulam-Angamaly
- Mar Aloysius Pazheparambil Archbishop (1896 – 1919)
- Mar Augustine Kandathil Archbishop (1919 – 1956)
- Mar Joseph Parecattil Archbishop (1956 – 1984)
- Mar Sebastian Mankuzhikary Apostolic Administrator (1984 – 1985)
- Mar Antony Padiyara Major Archbishop (1985 - 1996)
- Mar Abraham Kattumana Pontifical Delegate (1992-1995)
- Mar Varkey Vithayathil Apostolic Administrator (1996 – 1999) Major Archbishop (1999 - 2011)
- Mar George Alencherry Major Archbishop (since 2011)