Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Dam controversy made me unhappy-Justice KT Thomas






JUSTICE-K.T.THOMAS.jpg.crop_display.jpg

Dam controversy made me unhappy, says KT Thomas
 


I regret the way I have become a victim in the controversy that erupted after the empowered committee report come out, of which I was a member.
Though I never faced any impediments in discharging my responsibilities as a member the unnecessary controversy has made me unhappy, Justice K.T. Thomas told DC in an exclusive interview.
How did you accept the job as a committee member?
It was Harish Salve, who first asked me to be part of the empowered committee. Later I was requested by the then water resources minister N.K. Premachandran whom I told that I would accept the job only on the condition that I would not act for any particular state, but would discharge my duties with fairness and justness.
What about the committee’s findings? The popular perception is that these are against the interest of the state.
The committee’s finding did us a real favour. By saying that the dam was safe the report averted a great disaster.
How could you say the dam was safe? You have said it was safe for the next 100 years.
It is after the findings and study of experts, and my personal consultation and study of the engineers in whom I have immense faith, that I reached the conclusion that the dam was very safe.
Did you think that your role would stir such controversies?
I really thought my efforts would be praised. As we had seen the hullabaloo that a comment (P.J. Joseph’s comment that the dam was unsafe) by a minister created in Kerala.

No comments:

Post a Comment